Monday, February 6, 2012

The Emotional Roller Coaster That IS Advocacy

I started my journey as an advocate back in the Summer of 2009, while waiting to bring my daughter home from China. Little did I know then what a roller coaster of emotions lie ahead for me! 
To truly advocate for China's orphans, one has to feel a connection with each and every child whose voice they become. That connection becomes stronger the longer that a child waits and is advocated for. And when a child is finally matched with their forever family, there is a rush of emotions that come over us advocates that cannot be described. It is bitter-sweet, and there is nothing quite like it.
Yesterday I learned that "Gwen", a little girl I had advocated for since late 2010, had lost her battle with cancer and other health issues. Gwen, with the twinkle in her big eyes, is now at peace. I feel like a piece of my heart is gone....because it is. 
Tonight I learned that "Nancy", another little girl I have advocated for since 2010, has a new Mommy and Daddy waiting for her! Nancy's pixie-like face and bright smile will bring joy to her new family for sure!  Nancy is now Naomie Opal...a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. 
And so it goes: the ebb and flow of emotions that is advocacy. I've got my seatbelt on, and I'm not going anywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment